We believe this collaborative design effort creates architecture of unified vision, a vision that maintains the essence of its conceptual design throughout the development and construction process.
We believe firmly in the design process as the means for achieving successful architecture. We work closely with our clients and end users to ensure a design process that is disciplined in relevance to program and budget. We believe that buildings are not static structures but living creations that evolve over time and are required to cooperate within their context and ecosystem.
The Studio has received more than sixty Design Awards for Excellence from local, regional and the national chapters of the American Institute of Architects. We believe industry acknowledgement illustrates our creativity as well as our disciplined management of budget and schedule. We get things built.
Join the office warming party this summer as we relocate to a new space in the historic Beaux Arts Southern Building designed by architect Daniel H. Burnham, located at 805 15th Street NW.
- DC Preservation League | District of Columbia Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation; Chapman Stables
The office is currently designing over $200 million in construction work. We realize 2020 is going to involve a lot of Construction Administration Work.
- AIA VA | Honor Award for Excellence in Residential Architecture, Mid Century Modern House
- AIA VA | Honor Award for Excellence in Residential Architecture, Historic Chapman Stables
- AIA DC | Washingtonian Award, Historic Chapman Stables
Chapman Stables opens - a 114-unit adaptive reuse inclusionary and market rate condominiums rooted in the history of Truxton Circle. This once coal yard and stable is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and for many years, the buildingstood vacant. It’s now lovingly restored and a treasure for the community... Look for the Chapman Stables Fragment in early 2020.
- AIA National COTE Top Ten Award, Mundo Verde Bilingual Public Charter School
- AIA DC | Award of Excellence, Mundo Verde Bilingual Public Charter School
- AIA DC | Award of Excellence, Achievement Preparatory Academy
- AIA DC | Award of Merit, Union Station Bus Deck Pavilions
Women now outnumber men in the Studio. It does not seem like we are going back.
- AIA DC | Presidential Citation for Universal Design; Wood Cloud; Gallaudet University
- AIA Virginia, Excellence in Architecture Merit Award, Achievement Preparatory Academy
- AIA-CAE Education Facility Design Award, Mundo Verde Bilingual Public Charter School
- SCUP/AIA-CAE Excellence in Architecture for Building Additions or Adaptive Reuse Merit Award, Gallaudet University STM Laboratory Renovation and Expansion
- ArchDaily 100 Top Projects, Union Station Bus Deck Pavilions
- AIA Virginia, Excellence in Architecture Merit Award, Mundo Verde School
- AIA Virginia, Excellence in Architecture Merit Award, Gallaudet STM
We travel to Atlanta to pick up our first National AIA Housing Design Award for La Casa Permanent Supportive Housing in Washington DC. It also wins a National award from the National Low-Income Housing Coalition.
- AIA National Housing Award for Architecture; La Casa Permanent Supportive Housing
- Residential Architect Magazine Design Award; La Casa Permanent Supportive Housing
- Urban Land Institute Excellence in Institutional Development Award; Easter Seals Child Development Center
- AIA DC | Washingtonian Award of Excellence; La Casa Permanent Supportive Housing
- AIA Virginia Society Merit Award for Excellence in Architecture; La Casa Permanent Supportive Housing
- AIA MD Award for Excellence in Design; La Casa Permanent Supportive Housing
We finish construction on La Casa, our first ground up public housing project.
- AIA Virginia Society Merit Award for Excellence in Interior Design; Gallaudet University Residence Hall Renovations
- AIA Virginia Society Honor Award for Excellence in Architecture; Union Station Bus Terminal
- AIA Virginia Society Inform Award, Object Award Category; Gallaudet University Residence Hall Renovations
- AIA DC Presidential Citation for Universal Design; Gallaudet University Residence Hall Renovations
- Remodeling Magazine Grand Award Winner, Universal Design; Gallaudet University Residence Hall Renovations
- Remodeling Magazine Grand Award Winner, Green Remodeling; +2edison7 Residence
The Pavilions at Union Station offer an opportunity to design and construct a pavilion with a merged ovoid geometry. We had a small, less than three hundred-thousand-dollar budget so we enlisted a shipbuilder from North Carolina to construct the design from fiberglass. When it was completed it was placed on a truck and dropped off in place.
- AIA Virginia Society Merit Award for Residential Architecture; Ocean Walk
- AIA DC Presidential Citation in Sustainable Design; +2edison7
- DESIGNArlington Award; +2edison7
- Home & Design Magazine Designer's Choice Award
We catch the tail end of the recession and while there are no lay-offs we are reminded that this is a up and down business. We start to add some university work to our educational portfolio. We begin a series of pamphlet publications called “Fragments."
- AIA Washington DC, Award of Merit in Interior Architecture; Design Army Headquarters
- AIA Virginia Society, Award of Honor for Design Excellence; Design Army Headquarters
- AIA Washington DC/Washingtonian Magazine, Residential Design Award; Rincon|Bates House
The Studio publishes a book on SouthwestW DC entitled “(A)Mending L’Enfant’s Plan”. This - illustrated book provides a comprehensive history of urban development in this quadrant of the city from the introduction of L'Enfant's plan in 1791 to the opening of Nationals' stadium in 2008. The document traces Studio Twenty Seven Architecture's research into the evolution of the city and the master planning study of Southwest Using the metaphor of Haute Couture (French for "high sewing" or "high dressmaking") the final chapter of the book introduces specific architectural interventions to the area in order to reconnect the quadrant to the rest of the city. Those new interventions include a Ferry Terminal along the mouth of the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers and the return of Fort McNair to the public domain.
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Rincon|Bates House
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Mosaica Academy
- AIA Virginia Society, Inform Award; Rincon|Bates House
- Residential Architect, Design Award; Suliman House
- Washington City Paper, Best of DC 2011 Reader Poll, Best New Venue; Artisphere
- Urban Turf, Best Renovation by a Local Firm; Rincon|Bates House
The Studio firm outgrows our space on the second floor of the building and relocates upstairs. At the corner of sixteenth and K Street the new top floor corner office has admirable views of downtown, windows on three sides of the space, a private shower and a laser cutter that makes wonderful models at only 90db.
- AIA Washington DC, Merit Award in Architecture; Rincon|Bates House
- Remodeling Design Awards, Project of the Year; Rincon|Bates House
Studio Twenty Seven Architecture, along with Design Army, a local graphic design firm, won a national design competition to work as design architects and artists on the design and construction of the "Artisphere”.
- AIA Washington DC, Design Excellence Award; KIPP DC: KEY Academy (Benning Road Campus)
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Watershack
- AIA Washington DC, Unbuilt Awards for Merit in Design; Reconceptualizing Southwest DC
- AIA Virginia Society, Inform Award for Merit in Design; Capitol Hill Library Projects
All of our projects face major funding challenges as bank lending freezes up during the recession. We work with our clients to repurpose and redefine project scope and maneuver around rapidly changing financial constraints.
- Washington Spaces Magazine, Best of Kitchen Spaces; Spratt|Rogers Residence
The projects get larger, the studio gets bigger. We are doing a lot of house projects and an office for what turns out to be friends. We start a large school for a local non-profit.
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Fire Island Residence
- AIA Virginia Society, Inform Award for Excellence in Design; WUBU Residence
- USGBC James River Chapter, Go Green: Merit Award; Monarc Construction, Inc.
- Pro Bono Publico Award, WAF; Capitol Hill Libraries Project
- John Weibenson Award for Architecture in the Public Interest
- Builder Magazine, Builders Choice Awards; WUBU Residence
We are doing more and more project presentations before the Commission of Fine Arts and neighborhood groups. The comments are often insightful and reinforce the enjoyment of community based public works.
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Salvaggio Residence
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Suliman Residence
- AIA Washington DC, Merit Award in Interior Architecture; Salvaggio Residence
- AIA Washington DC/Washingtonian Magazine, Residential Design Award; Unit Derwin
Fire Island Residence is a summer beach house in the resort community of Pines on Fire Island. This house inserts some of the "spirit of the shore" into a "Yankee thriftiness" residential typology.
- AIA Washington DC/Washingtonian Magazine, Residential Award; HUIS-JCMZ
We work with Design Army on a new office space, becoming a new client and collaborator on future work.
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Regenerative Rowhouse
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Nusonian Home Prototypes
- AIA Virginia Society, Inform Award for Excellence in Design; HUIS-JCMZ
- AIA Potomac Valley, Merit Award for Architecture; HUIS-JCMZ
- EPA Green Building Design Competition for New York City; Regenerative Rowhouse
- ABC Metro DC and VA Excellence in Construction; HUIS-JCMZ
The attic fits four people, maybe, and we need space for at least seven desks. We are fortunate to relocate to a space two blocks form the white House. It is four times the size of the attic and the neighbor down the street at the White house makes a big commotion every time he does anything.
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; Georgetown Day School
- AIA National Young Architects Award; Ronald Todd Ray
- AIA Washington DC/Washingtonian Magazine, Residential Award; 1136 + 1167 Condo Combo
- AIA Washington DC/Washingtonian Magazine, Residential Award; Unit 303
We are very proud of a new house project we complete called Huiz JCMZ. Working very closely with the client, a Rhodes Scholar and Dutch ex-pat with encyclopedic knowledge of modern pavilions throughout Europe. We get a design that is different and better than we gain alone. We feel that this confirms that a collaborative design yields great result.
- AIA Northern Virginia, Unbuilt Design Award of Merit; 1136 + 1167 Condo Combo
- AIA Washington DC, Merit Award in Interior Architecture; Unit 303
- Maryland Governor's Office of Smart Growth, Public Outreach Award; Town of La Plata, Emergency Design Charrette (with the Washington Architectural Foundation)
Apparently attracted by cramped working conditions and long years, talented young people start to join the studio: Hans from Dresden, Lukas, Son of Rodney, and Brian, slayer of fax machines.
- AIA Virginia Society, Excellence in Architecture; HUIS-JCMZ
- AIA Potomac Valley, Merit Award for Architecture; Anderson-Pettitt Residence
- NARI, CoTY Award for Excellence; Anderson-Pettitt Residence
- Builder Magazine, Special Focus Award; Anderson-Pettitt Residence
An opportunity to move out of the basement appears. Very affordable rent if we’ll agree to renovate the attic space in the nineteenth century rowhouse where the DC AIA Chapter is located. Our general contractor friend quickly loses interest in the project, so we spend weekdays drawing and weekends building out an attic.
- AIA Northern Virginia, Design Award for Excellence; 1136 + 1167 Condo Combo
It’s getting to be too much work to be a part time job. Time to set up desks in a basement, buy a pen plotter and a four hundred pound “used” xerox machine that does not work.
This business is just a side hustle. The local AIA Chapter starts to take notice of the work. One of our clients works in the White House. We hear what the President and Hillary’s Mom think of our latest designs.
- AIA Northern Virginia, Design Award for Excellence; Loveladies Lot 93
Your father-in-law wants a new beach house. He has no money for design fees and a one hundred fifty thousand dollars as a construction budget. Take the job.
- AIA Northern Virginia, Young Architect Merit Award; Bolbach Residence
- AIA Northern Virginia, Young Architect Merit Award; House for Parcel X
Our portfolio consists overwhelmingly of institutional and community projects delivered on time and in budget. Because of this proven experience, we understand how to deliver coordinated, scope-inclusive documents early in the process of a phased, fast track project schedule. Visionary goals notwithstanding, design solutions for community buildings work with an economy of means. We try to maximize the opportunities available in every project.All Projects
Our writings include a book on the history and development of the District of Columbia’s Southwest quadrant and periodic pamphlets, entitle “Fragments”. Fragments are an opportunity to tell a more complete story of a project or an idea that is commonly explored as a design concept in the Studio’s work.All Case Studies